Queensland Urban Utilities (QUU) was formed when five Southeast Queensland Local Government Area water and sewer businesses were amalgamated. This required the merging of five different GIS and asset systems, and customised spatial location tools to assist users with a transition from MapInfo to ArcGIS for Desktop. Approximately 140 desktop GIS users needed to maintain GIS business continuity using an automated way to find, display and create maps for over $4.1b of assets in the new GIS environment.
GIS People’s software development team developed an automated, configurable find and display ArcGIS add-on – ArcNavigator – providing easy deployment and centrally coordinated search parameters, together with preset map creation options. QUU has GIS users ranging from design and maintenance engineers, field staff and administrative and support staff. ArcNavigator provided an ideal solution, enabling multiple configurations suited to every user’s roles and data requirements.
- ArcNavigator tool developed for QUU.
- Staff able to instantly find assets, property and customers in the GIS.
- System ensures power-users have the same ‘ease of use’ capabilities as web-based GIS users.
- Users maintain business continuity in the new GIS platform.
- System can be managed and deployed by a small team of GIS administrators.